This Week's Spotlight
Annual Report
2014 Community Resource Directory
The Holly Shoppe
Craft Sales
Loan Closet
Medical Equipment
Our Newsletter

Nutrition Program

Project Lifesaver
Child/Adult Wander Protection/Recovery
Safe & Sound
Adult Wander
Telephone Reassurance
Vital Information Program
Emergency Medical Info.
The Aging & Disability Resource Center (ADRC) offers a variety of transportation services throughout Portage County for people age 60 and over and adults with disabilities.

General Information

For more information or reservations please call 715-346-1401.Information can also be received from local Senior Dining Site Managers in the Plover, Rosholt, Amherst and Junction City areas.

All bus and volunteer Escort riders are asked to donate toward the cost of transportation services. The amount you donate is confidential. For taxi rides there is a set fee.

All rides must be reserved ahead of time: for bus rides, at least 24 hours in advance; for escort rides, at least 48 hours in advance.

In addition to the services described here, we provide transportation for special group events and to Retired and Senior Volunteer Program volunteer work stations. We can provide instruction on the use of City Transit buses in Stevens Point.  We'll work with individuals and families to help solve particular transportation problems.

Rides to Nutrition Program Senior Dining Sites
The bus or volunteer driver picks you up at your door and returns you home after lunch. Ongoing reservations are made directly with the local Dining Site Managers.

Wheelchair Transportation
Point Plus Transit provides rides for people in wheelchairs in Stevens Point and Whiting; call 715-341-2000 for information or reservations. Plover Taxi provides rides for people in the village of Plover; call 715-342-1313 for information or reservations. For other areas of the county, call the Aging & Disability Resource Center at 715-346-1401.

Lincoln Center Bus Service (Stevens Point)
For those who cannot drive or ride a city bus to Lincoln Center the Aging & Disability Resource Center bus picks up at 11 A.M. and returns people home around 1 P.M.  These times can sometimes be adjusted to fit your schedule of activities or appointments at Lincoln Center.

Grocery Shopping Bus Service (Stevens Point)
One day a week the Aging & Disability Resource Center buses take people grocery shopping. This service is for those who have no other way to obtain groceries and need help carrying their bags.

Volunteer Driver Escort Program
Throughout Portage County, volunteers drive people to medical and essential personal business appointments. Rides are requested from the Volunteer Escort Coordinator Monday through Friday from 1 to 3:30 P.M. at 715-346-1401.

Taxi Escort Service (Stevens Point or Plover)
People who have no other transportation are provided rides to medical appointments by Courtesy Cab or Plover Taxi.  The  Aging & Disability Resource Center pays for the cost of the ride not covered by passenger fees. Each ride must be requested from the Escort Coordinator at Lincoln Center Monday through Friday from 1 to 3:30 P.M.

Current Route Schedule

Stevens Point
  • Rides to Lincoln Center for activities or lunch, Monday through Friday.
  • Rides to east side and Crossroads Commons for shopping on Mondays (call for schedule in your area).
  • Grocery shopping rides: Mondays: City, North side, Fireside Apartments, and Town of Hull.
  • Commodities: third Tuesday of the month.

  • Bus to Municipal Center for lunch, Tuesdays and Thursdays.
  • Bus to Stevens Point Monday through Friday.

Bus to Jensen Center for lunch, Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays.

Junction City
Bus to lunch at the Park Pavilion, Tuesdays and Thursdays.

This program is funded in part by the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) as authorized under 49 U.S.C. § 5310 Mobility Options of Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities Program (CDA 20.521).

Notifying the Public of Rights Under Title VI

Portage County, WIPortage County operates its programs and services without regard to race, color, and national origin in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act. Any person who believes she or he has been aggrieved by any unlawful discriminatory practice under Title VI may file a complaint with the County of Portage.For more information on Portage County's civil rights program, and the procedures to file a complaint, contact 715-346-1327, (TDD 715-344-2140); email human.resources@co.portage.wi.us; or visit our administrative office at 1462 Strongs Avenue, Stevens Point, WI 54481. A complainant may file a complaint directly with the Federal Transit Administration by filing a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights, Attention: Title VI Program Coordinator, East Building, 5th Floor-TCR, 1200 New Jersey Ave., SE Washington, DC, 20590.For more information, visit www.co.portage.wi.us If information is needed in another language, contact 715-346-1327

Travel Training Program
The Travel Training program is designed to give people with disabilities and seniors the "Skill, Confidence and Independence" to access and ride transportation in Portage County. The Travel Trainer will offer familiarization training for groups and individuals, the goal being to raise awareness of travel options available. One-on-one training will also be offered with sessions individualized to teach safe, independent travel skills. If you have any questions call 715-341-4490.

Volunteer Opportunities: Be a Travel Buddy
Travel Buddies are people just like you who enjoy helping others. They are matched with new riders who want a companion to accompany them while riding transportation in Portage County.

Travel Buddies receive training and support along with the satisfaction of helping someone become more independent. Call 715-341-4490 for more information.

Volunteer Drivers Needed

Giving up the car keys is one of the most difficult things for some people to face. Think about what you would do without your car? One way to assist with this difficult decision is to give people alternatives to driving themselves.

The Aging & Disability Resource Center operates a volunteer driver program that allows older and disabled individuals to get to medical care and other appointments that enable them to remain living independently in the community. The demand for trips is increasing and so is the need for drivers. The ADRC is looking for volunteers from all areas of the county. This is a flexible and rewarding opportunity. Not only are rides given, but relationships are formed.

Please call Donna Betro at 715-346-1401 for more information or to sign up. We need you to keep the program running!

Medicaid Transportation

Non-emergency medical transportation is no longer coordinated at the local/county level. The State of Wisconsin has a Transportation Manager/Broker system for Medicaid non-emergency transportation. The Wisconsin Department of Health Services has contracted with MTM to operate the Transportation Manager system. MTM is an MA transportation broker. As a broker it will manage or basically arrange all MA non-emergency medical transportation (NEMT). The State's change to utilizing the services of an MA transportation broker affects who authorizes MA reimbursement for MA non-emergency rides and who provides assistance in arranging those rides. If MA is currently being used to help pay for your costs to go to non-emergency medical appointments or other MA covered services, or to help pay for family or friends to take you to these appointments, or to purchase/pay for a ride from a transportation provider such as a volunteer driver, taxi, or special medical vehicle, etc., you will now call MTM to receive authorization for reimbursement and/or to arrange the ride. The phone number for arranging non-emergency medical transportation through MTM is toll free at 1-866-907-1493.

WHO does this affect?
This affects persons on Medicaid (also known as Medical Assistance or MA) and BadgerCare Plus (non-emergency rides are not covered for Core and Basic Plan members). Individuals enrolled in the Medicaid or BadgerCare Plus programs are all members of ForwardHealth and have been issued a ForwardHealth card and number. This does not affect individuals residing in nursing homes or enrolled in the Family Care program operated by Community Care Connections of Wisconsin (CCCW).

WHAT information do I need before I call for a ride?
  • Your ForwardHealth number on your ForwardHealth card
  • Date of birth for person needing the ride
  • Date and time of appointment
  • Name of your doctor, street address of location of appointment and their phone number. You will need to know their full address and telephone number. You cannot just say the Rice Clinic, for example.
  • Pen and paper to write down the confirmation number for your ride (MTM will provide you with this number for each ride authorized)
Note:  You may have someone you trust call for you (spouse, son, daughter or friend).

WHEN should I call for a ride to the medical appointment?
Call for a ride at least two full business days in advance-the sooner, the better. Call MTM between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. Monday through Friday to get the call center (located in Madison). If you call after 6 p.m. you will get the call center in Georgia. If you have an urgent appointment without two days notice, contact MTM as soon as you can to explain your circumstance. They may be able to help you with less notice. If you need rides several times a week for therapy, ask staff at the medical facility to call MTM to make special arrangements for your reoccurring rides.

If you need to cancel an appointment, a 24-hour notice is required.

Write it down:
  • MTM will give you a confirmation number for your approved trip. Save it.
  • Record the name of the person at MTM with whom you spoke.
  • Record the date and time of your call.

WHO will help me if I am experiencing difficulties?
Your first line of action is to call MTM at 1-866-907-1494 to report problems or complaints with their call center or transportation providers.
oIf you where denied a ride make sure you have followed MTM procedures:
  • You are MA eligible
  • You are going to a MA covered service
  • You called two business days in advance
  • You know the name, complete address and phone number for your appointment
  • You do NOT have excessive no-shows or cancellations

WHAT if MTM denies my request for a ride? 
If you are elderly or disabled and think you were unfairly denied a ride, contact the Aging & Disability Resource Center of Portage County. ADRC staff can help you explain your circumstances to MTM, or assist you in filing an appeal or complaint. The Mobility Management staff will also assist in connecting with MTM or other transportation providers to obtain your ride. Call the ADRC toll-free 866-920-2525 or 715-346-1401.

MTM Caller Checklist

MTM Website