Jail Sentencing from Other Counties

Overcrowding Prevents Transfers
Inmates may not transfer a jail sentence from another county to Portage County unless the entire sentence can be done on electronic monitoring (see “Home Detention Program”).  Due to overcrowding, some Portage County inmates are already sent to other jails to serve their sentences.  Because of this ongoing problem, accepting inmates who were convicted in other counties is not possible.

Other County Courts Can’t Order Electronic Monitoring
A Court from another county can not order Portage County to place an inmate on electronic monitoring.  A Court from another county may declare an offender eligible for electronic monitoring, but can’t order Portage County to provide electronic monitoring.